I thought I did, but now….
For a long time my life goals could be summed up by the following:
1. Become a successful Orthopaedic Surgeon in Nashville.
2. Retire comfortably and teach some at the tender age of 50.
3. Make a run for the Senate from TN and win handily, serving two terms.
4. Run for President and win handily yet again, serving two terms.
5. Retire to the speaking circuit, write some books, and be generally regarded as the finest President to serve the American People.
Well, not anymore.
Politics is quite a science and business all rolled into one. I am not one of those optimists that believe ANYONE can become Governor, Senator, President, etc. I believe it takes a certain kind of person with contacts made over time to accomplish these feats. The very fact that Andrew Jackson became President is a testament to this possibility. However, as time goes by, it becomes more and more like a black swan to me; I’ll believe it when I see it.
I don’t have the resolve at 26 to even say I want that responsibility, much less that I want to endure the grueling schedule it would require. Also, let’s be honest: the political climate in America is absolutely absurd. It takes a little bit of crazy to do it today.
Good thing it’s my dad and not me. Haha, just joking, but seriously. Insanity.